What is a Consent Decree?

A Consent Decree is the final order signed by the Judge when parties have agreed on everything required for a divorce, legal separation, or annulment. Both parties must agree in writing to all of the issues which may include: division of property and debt, spousal maintenance (if any), legal decision-making, parenting time, and child support for cases involving children. All parties must sign the written decree.

The Respondent must be served with the Petition for Dissolution (or the Respondent must sign an Acceptance of Service.) The signed Consent Decree and other required paperwork cannot be submitted to the Court until at least 60 days have passed after the date the Respondent was served with the divorce papers.

Once at least 60 days have passed, you can file your Consent Decree with the Clerk of Court. Make sure your documents are completed correctly before you file. If they are not completed correctly, the Court will not be able to sign the Consent Decree and you will not be divorced. If your Consent Decree is completed correctly, the Court reviews the paper work and upon approval, the Court will sign the Consent Decree and you will be divorced.

If you would like someone to review your Decree with you and ensure it is completed properly, please email the Family Law Facilitator program at the Conciliation Court or call 520-866-7349.

Show All Answers

1. What if we agree on everything?
2. What is a Consent Decree?
3. How can I get a Consent Decree signed by the court?
4. What documents need to be completed to ask for a Consent Decree?